Easy Keto Diet Meal Plan
Wondering exactly what you can eat on a keto diet? I am no expert and I hate to cook, so I figured I'd take away the idea that you have to spend an entire day in the kitchen preparing your meals for the week when you are doing the keto diet. And you don't have to stress about cooking "real meals". Especially at the start of your keto diet, keep it simple!
Top 4 keto diet meal prep tips
Before we start, here are 4 quick tips when you are keeping things easy on your keto diet:
1. Batch cook some protein: chicken thighs (I prefer them grilled) and/or pork butt/country ribs in the crock pot
2. Have fresh eggs on hand
3. Make sure to have avocados coming in every 4-5 days so that you always have a ripe one
4. Have some go-to snacks on hand (my favorites: olives of any kind, sliced salami, macadamia nuts)
Here's what I eat in a day of the keto diet
Easy Keto Diet Breakfast
- 3 egg yolk scramble in grass-fed butter
- ham/pork sausage/fatty meat
- avocado drizzled with olive oil
- sprinkled with cilantro
Eating just the yolks sounds so wrong, I get it. We've been trained to think that egg yolks give you high cholesterol. But the truth is, we need cholesterol and our bodies only naturally make 30% of what we need.
Flawed research studies started us on this path. Sure high amounts of cholesterol in the blood is a marker for increased possibility of heart trouble, but no study has been able to link the cholesterol we eat to it increasing in our blood. We create cholesterol and need it to function. The real culprit is trans fats and sugar!
"Dr. Walter Willett, chair of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health's Nutrition Department, was one of the first physicians to realize that while the Framingham findings showed that cholesterol in the blood is associated with a higher risk of heart disease, no studies at that point had shown that cholesterol consumption actually increased blood levels." --NPR Unscrambling the Nutritional Science on Eggs
Easy Keto Diet Lunch
- Spinach or Kale Salad
- Fatty meat
- Extra virgin olive oil with apple cider vinegar salt and vinegar
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Baby bell peppers (unless I'm feeling like cutting the carbs way down)
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Sunflower seeds
- Sauteed leftover pork/steak/whatever you have in butter/olive oil
- Add in kale/spinach/bok choy
- Stir in Coconut Aminos or The New Primal original sauce
- Top with shredded cabbage/Cilantro/apple cider vinegar/shredded unsweetened coconut
- Add avocado if I'm feeling hungry or it's a long time until dinner
I'm super lazy when it comes to lunch (well, for all of my meals) and I always aim for easy and fast keto lunches.
image: Savory Tooth via The Greatest
More ideas for an easy keto diet lunch from The Greatest: 19 Keto Lunches that Will Help You Stick to Your Resolutions.
Keto Diet Dinner
Usually I have kale, broccoli, bok choy, or asparagus on hand to go along with whatever I've taken out of the freezer to cook (steak, fish, chicken).
Our current favorite is this sauteed chicken thighs with lemon butter caper sauce. It tastes so much better than it looks in that photo--I used my iPhone for all of these pics. I'm no food blogger haha!
I'm also no recipe writer, but this is how we make it:
Keto Chicken with Lemon Butter Caper Sauce
- Chicken thighs (we use Costco's organic boneless/skinless chicken thighs)
- Olive oil
(I usually use leftover grilled chicken thighs that I've pre-cooked, but if you are using raw chicken thighs, first you would brown chicken thighs in the pan with olive oil or ghee--this is the optimal way to make this since the brown bits from cooking the chicken will flavor everything else!)
- Saute onions or shallots in the pan with more olive oil
- Add in meat and chopped garlic until the shallots are carmelized and the garlic is cooked
- Add three large handfuls of spinach and stir until it wilts (or cooked to however you like it)
- Pour chicken, shallots, garlic, spinach into a large bowl
- Add olive oil until warm and add the juice of a lemon and cook over low heat
- Add in as much capers as you enjoy and continue cooking until the sauce has cooked down
- Turn heat down to low and add in a big hunk of butter (like a scary amount of butter) and slowly stir it into the sauce until it's mixed in.
- Pour this delicious sauce over your chicken
- Grate fresh parmesan on top and prepare yourself to lick the bowl!
You can also serve this over zoodles, but usually we just eat it, as is. This is Kate's favorite new dish and she wants to learn how to cook it tonight!
Need more inspiration? Here are some incredible posts from people with far more experience with an easy keto diet plan:
Keto Diet Snacks
A note about snacks. If you are hungry between meals, you aren't eating enough healthy fat. You should be able to stretch 4-5 hours or more on a healthy keto diet meal. Breakfast is my biggest and most fat-full meal and I've been known to eat it at 7am and by 2 I realize that I need to stop and eat something. It's really crazy how much appetite you lose on the keto diet!
If you are in the habit of snacking, that's one thing. I sometimes get hungry and when I think about it, I realize I was too light on the fat from my last meal.
I usually grab 4-5 macadamia nuts and a slice of salami with avocado and that usually gets me through until my next meal.
Other Keto Diet Posts in this series:
There you have it! I hate to cook and I manage to make things easy on the keto diet. I hope you found some inspiration and are armed with the tools to make your own easy keto diet meal plan! Good luck :)