Friday Lunch Break | Let's Get Distracted
Happy Friday! We're on a plane to Los Angeles (again!) to attend our first homeschooling conference. It's HSC DiscoveryCon--a homeschooling gaming conference! Gah! We are all so excited :) And oh darn, we have to leave the cold temps behind for 80 degrees in LA.
I'll do a recap next week! In the meantime, here are some links to distract you on your lunch break:
1. New binge-worthy show alert: Altered Carbon is coming out today on Netflix. I love Joel Kinnaman from The Killing and House of Cards. It looks unique and fresh--can't wait to have something new to try out with Joe :) (Instead of our usual The Office replays :)
2. My daughter asked me recently why we have to 'cover up' our chests with bras and was sad that her perception is that we should be ashamed and that we have to cover them up. It's a complicated question and really made me think. I responded off the cuff that they are for support as you develop, but it really got me thinking. And then I stumbled across this incredibly thoughtful post from Design Mom, "Why Do I Need to Wear a Bra?" on this very subject. If you have a tween girl, it's a must read. The comments were so helpful.
And another one from The Week via Design Mom was riveting and important in light of the social shift in how we view sexual encounters. More good info to consider to keep in my arsenal as my daughter (and son!) gets older.
3. I'm trying to up my iPhone photography skills because it's not always convenient to have my dSLR and the heavy lens that I prefer when we're out and about. I've heard you can shoot in 'raw' mode on your phone (which basically just means that all of the pixels your camera sees, it saves in a DNG file that you can edit). When editing, it's helpful to have a bigger file with more data to manipulate, or edit. Anyways...this article on the best iPhone editing apps was really informative.
4. We're on a "no-spend" January and February unless it's an emergency clothing need, like shoes. But I have some GapCard rewards and today I needed some time to myself, so I ran into Old Navy and bought this gorgeous Fit and Flare Floral Sleeve Dress and a bell sleeve grey top and I still had rewards to spare!
FINALLY a dress that is long enough to be appropriate for this 40-something mom. I wish it came in more prints, because the fit is perfection. Spring is in the air!!
5. I found a new Paleo Instagram and blog to follow: Healthy Little Peach. You guys, Mac is the BEST. Awesome recipes and inspiration and just a lovely lady who is trying to uplift people who are trying to eat healthier and change their lives. Plus, her southern accent is a dream...